Pair this upgraded bagel sandwich with some fresh grapes and a yogurt parfait – lunch time will thank you!
A sandwich isn’t just a sandwich when you add in toasted buns and blackberry jam.
Iremember that one of the toughest things about getting started with a gluten free diet was bread. I loved bread. My mother was always baking a loaf on the weekends and I practically lived off of breadsticks and pizza in college. I have yet to find (or create!) a doughy, fluffy breadstick that is perfect with a plate of spaghetti.
I always say, the top three things I miss are Little Caesars pizza, Subway sandwiches on herb and cheese bread, and Olive Garden breadsticks. I have yet to master any of these as gluten free alternatives in my kitchen, but for now, I have a delicious gluten free bagel sandwich! Gluten free bagels are pretty widely available these days, but my favorites are the plain gluten free bagels at Aldi. They’re under $4 and have one of the fluffiest textures I’ve found in a store-bought gluten free bread.
This may seem like a simple recipe – and it is – but sometimes the simplest recipes give you the most delicious food. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve whipped one of these up for a Harry Potter marathon or the dreaded “I have a paper due in four hours” marathon. Simply, yet very delicious.
Gluten Free Bagel Sandwich
- 1 gluten free bagel, sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons blackberry jam
- 1 slice provolone cheese
- 2 slices smoked turkey breast
- Handful mixed greens
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Place bagel halves right side up on a lined baking sheet. Place provolone slice on bottom half and drizzle olive oil, pepper, salt and oregano.
- Bake for about five minutes, or just until the cheese starts to melt.
- Move to a plate and spread blackberry jam on the inside of the top half. Top cheese with turkey and mixed greens. Serve with fresh dill pickles.